1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Sneak Peek & Change Log

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Seph, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Reider

Reider Modereider

The only way I'd really be okay with a forum post getting points is if it was either a well done tutorial or if it was one of you guys getting rewarded for uploading games in the ROM section.

You should reward people for helping the community, not being a part of it. That's what I believe anyways.
    The IRC is dead. I think I might visit once a month at the most but most of the regulars that were there have moved on and it's nothing but silence now.

I know we've shot down the chat box idea a ton of times anyways. For the life of me though I can't even remember why anymore.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

That's what we believe also.

3. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Here's hoping the revamp will invigorate the community again ;)

Incidentally we could probably strengthen the community if the target audience goes beyond ROMs, consoles and the emulation scene. Prectorian's Android scene topics could be a great start.

4. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

Right, rewards given for significant contribution only is just as great. It needn't be in the form of points, could be emblem or something else entirely. This reward system might be needed because if the site is to include featuring news articles on the main page, it'll need active contributors. Of cause, if the members are voluntarily active is so much better, but an incentive no matter how small would be mutually beneficial, and hopefully promote active participation (with or without the incentive).

5. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Because it wasn't lasting content. It was something available only to people who were online at the time.

That said, I don't think this reasoning is good any more, so a chatbox is something I'm going to consider once I turn my attention to the community aspect of RomU.

6. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Rejoice RomU's dirty dozen, finally a place you can call your very own and go all out in :D

7. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

it draws closer...

8. Prectorian

Sneaky ...

9. Seph

I've now completed testing of data migration on localhost and will proceed to do the same on new live servers. Once that is completed I will put the site in maintenance mode and the update can begin. The update is likely to take quite a long time. Right now I'm projecting around 12 hours but I will know more accurately once I have completed the migration on the new production servers.

And since I started out the sneak peek with a show of our threaded comments here they are in the new design form, this is probably going to be updated after launch as I'm not entirely happy with it yet.

[​IMG]

10. Soluri

Soluri Well-Known Member

Yup, those comments are pretty ugly

11. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

Comments are nice, here's hoping there's no reddit/disqus-style upboating.

12. Seph

You're ugly!

Will probably have some form of upboating so prepare to meme your way to internet points.

13. Soluri

Soluri Well-Known Member

Your mother is!

14. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Here's a better come back though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF93f23TTfk

15. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Might work better for a comment section of a game, as it'll most likely be people troubleshooting and reminiscing. Unless people decide to raid the comments and upvote them.

16. Seph

After finding a few bugs and testing the migration process I feel completely confident I will only fuck it up a little bit, so upgrade is now planned for October 20th 11 PM / October 21st 2 AM EDT / 7 AM BST / 2 PM HKT.

17. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

This is confidence right here.
    Looking forward to it.

18. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho Well-Known Member

Liking the new look so far!

19. M.AzaryPika3172

M.AzaryPika3172 Well-Known Member

Welcome to Romulation vision 2020! :D
    Next job is add more Smileys or Emoticons, just likes GBATemp have it! ;)

20. Prectorian

Well, it took longer than the said expected 12 hours. Glad to see the admin made a relatively smooth transfer to the next gen. Will need some getting use to (again :p).

Few things I noticed though (not complaining);
    1. Some avatars weren't transferred automatically (like mine in .png missing)
    2. Profile Text under Avatar using (which I think and maybe mistaken) non-ASCII format missing or gibberish up. (like mine which was written in Korean/Hangul)
    3. Usernames shown on forum are return to its original state as when first join the site.

For no.1 & 2, this could be solved by fixing some bugs in the coding?
    As for no.3, I think the Admin will require those effected to re-request in the : http://forum.romulation.net/threads/is-it-possible-to-change-my-username.41537/

In the meantime, I've not the time to look around much at this time. Will check back in few hours. :)