1. This forum is in read-only mode.

[TUTORIAL] Guide to Enable WIFI Feature On DeSmuMe v.0.9.7

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Prectorian, Apr 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hei

Hei Member

@prectorian
    thanks!
    btw, how exactly do you allow winpcap through your firewall? I don't see WinPcap in the list of programs when I try give it permissions and I can't find the program named WinPcap in my program files.
    P.S. im running win7 32bit

Edit*
    I've finally made it work!
    I successfully connected to global link using one of desmume version you linked in your OP
    the r3947 with wifi and wincap v4.1.1

I think the problem came from 2 possible reasons (assuming you have every hardware requirement and followed every step)
    first, the problem may have come with the version of the desmume
    second, problem might have occurred because of the version of winpcap

ok for future reference regarding ingame connectivity and getting error 20100 here are the things I did:
    I uninstalled winpcap 4.1.2 and installed 4.1.1 version provided in prectorian's original post under the exta note section. "2.DeSmuMe v.0.9.7 r3947 WIFI with WinPcap v.4.1.1" is the package I used to make it work.
    then I ran the desmume file while pressing ctrl+r until the msg "firmware save config: done" appeared in the cmd logs, configured the desmume like in the instructions and viola! it worked!

thanks prectorian :)

2. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

You're welcome. Glad you sort out the problem.
    Keep in mind that you only get 1x to send the pokemon to dream world and 1x to wake the pokemon you had sent PER day. After that wait 24 hours before you get another gaming session in the PGL.

3. Hei

Hei Member

yeah...about that...
    I can't seem to use the game sync cause it always says it is out of energy, must recharge for a day

and I know that when I'm using my DS, changing the time and date of the DS will make the game sync unusable for the next 24 hrs because of the implemented penalty by the game developers.

correct me if I'm wrong but, I think the problems is caused by the emulator not automatically saving the firmware settings upon exit and reboot since I always get the "firmware config save: failed" msg when starting up desmume

is there a fix for this?

4. Prectorian

For the firmware error, try self assigning the 3 bios (arm7.bin, arm9.bin, firmware.bin) manually. Before doing that, remove existing firmware.dfc so that it create another. Hopefully that will solve your issue. Another possibility is to place all 3 .bin files into the firmware folder.Don't forget to right click on properties and set the DeSmuMe to "admin mode/full control".

Regarding the "ran out of energy" issue, it got nothing to do with the firmware config issue. Its because you had tried connecting to game sync but failed. Try waiting 24 hours, it should normally recharge and become accessable.Remember though, if you make any sort of alteration (edit/rename/hack/modify, etc.) the save file, it would cause the same problem. A 1x24 hours wait should solve it.

5. Hei

Hei Member

thanks for the very informative reply.

I think I know now where the problem lies.

when the emulator runs a rom for the first time, it creates a save file even though you did not start a new game right? I noticed it earlier when I found the battery folder already having a save file after configuring the wifi connection.

then I copy and replaced the save file with my other save file so I think that's what caused it. either that or the thing about failed connection to the game sync haha

thanks a bunch!

6. Ch4nKyy

Ch4nKyy New Member

Hi,
    I want to trade Pokemons with a friends. (both Soul Silver edition)
    Since the connex club doesn't work, we have to use the Global Trade Station.
    The problem is, that we cannot find each others offers.
    Mainly, because there are soooo many retarded offers and the game only shows you a few while filter options are very limited.
    It's possible to filter countries, but when I set the filter to Germany (thats where both of us come from) and search for the pokemon my friend offered, it says no offers were found.
    Does the emulator/winpcap use a proxy or something?
    Or does anyone have experience with that?

7. TheHaxForU

TheHaxForU New Member

OFCORSE i get the infamous 52000 error "followed ever step / fix i could,

i change my network wpa to wep, i turned off my firewall i made my ip static
    here i just post the fixes and check off what i did

No.1 --CHECK
    1. Try replacing the firmware.dfc in the DeSmuMe folder with either one of this:
    a. Firmware.dfc Option 1 : Click Here Option 1
    b. Firmware.dfc Option 2 : Click Here Option 2
    (Thanks to : John3 a.k.a John2461)

No.1 --CHECK
    2. If some of you are using VISTA or WIN 7;
    a. There is DEP (Data Exchange Protection) security in the system. To by-pass it for DeSmuMe and any other
    software/program.
    * Right Click on the DeSmuMe icon on your Desktop
    * Run as Admin
    -or-
    * Right Click on the DeSmuMe icon on your Desktop
    * Properties
    * Security
    * Edit Permission
    * Full Control
    b. Move the "biosnds7.bin", "biosnds9.bin", and "firmware.bin" into the Firmware Folder before assigning them
    as instructed in the tutorial.
    (Thanks to : Insanecrazy07)

No.3 --Dunno what this means So didn't do it.
    3. You might want to attempt editing the DNS inside the WFC Setup config to : 4.2.2.2 4.2.2.3 4.2.2
    No.4 --Also dont know / or how..
    4. Go to Network Connection, manually changing the bridging from PPOE to PPOA (or the other way round)
    No.5 --I did this and more, i manual entered my IP adress, Defult gatway, subnet mask, and primary/secondary DNS
    5. You might want to attempt editing the IP inside WFC Setup to : 192.168.110 or changing the last 2 digit to
    any number in the "10" multiplication; eg. 192.168.120 ,etc.
    6. Locate in your Control Panel's Firewall, for any possibilities of a setting that might block the WinPcap (eg. disable
    SPI Firewall)
    [spoilers started to be a panin]
    [6] yes disabled complete firewall. Check
    7. Make sure your LAN Connection is set as HOME Network
    [7] it always was .Check
    8. If you get Firmware.dfc,BiosArm7.dfc, and BiosArm9.dfc, image error, go to PATH SETTING under the DeSmuMe's
    Config, and self assign the files/folders. Or alternatively, self replace the firmware.dfc with the one provided in
    page 1.
    [8] didn't get that error so i didnt need to do it right :|?
    9. Assign STATIC IP ADDRESS for routers that has both ethernet cable port and antena.
    [9] hey i did that one aswell :D. CHECKLE
    10. Go to DeSmuMe main screen and press CTRL-R to reset your settings, or perform a RESTART computer.
    [10] ding dong done >.>

WTF DO I DO :|?????

My router is a Linksys E2000 by Cisco and my network is wired not wifi.
    if that helps... THANKS .____.

8. Hei

Hei Member

@ thehaxforu

when starting the emulator, did you see a msg in the logs saying "firmware config save: failed"?
    if so, then try pressing ctrl+r when starting the emulator 'till you get "firmware config save: done" in the cmd logs.

based on my experience, error 52000 is caused by glitches/improper set up of the firmware

and try using the r3947 with wifi package from the OP of prectorian

9. TheHaxForU

TheHaxForU New Member

@Hei you know i have seen that. ill give it a try

Edit: i did what you said and i saw the Firmware: save config - done
    the it went to
    WIFI: SoftAP connected! - normaly it would say DoftAP disconnected after a while
    now it says "Crap we're ganna nuke a packet at 2/69 <0080> <oBRE> twice
    and then error code: 50002 on the emulator

Another edit: lol i tried again i didnt get the error and i got error code 50000 :|

played with some setting. changing wifi to Anchorfree HSS adapter - from NVIDIA nforce mcp networking adapter driver, and started it hit ctrl r untill i got config thing - done then i got a diconnected on console and error code 52001 ,

i think i have gotting error code 50000 - 52002 today :|

10. TehKing

TehKing New Member

Thank you Prectorian! Amazing work. I got Lucario on Dream World.

11. Hanna Rye

Hanna Rye New Member

Greets,
    I recently tried to set up a WiFi connection for DeSmuME 0.9.7 as instructed by the guide. I am using the 4.1.2 version of WinPCap.
    The problem is: at this point I don't know what to do, because I get the 52000 error code. I checked my Internet settings to make sure I can effectively activate the feature: I have ADSL, and connect to Internet through Ethernet cables (as well as every computer/console in my home), I don't have Wireless capability (except of my Netbook), and I have several VPN Connection programs (namely Hamachi, Tunngle, Wippien) I can enable or disable should I get conflict problems.

(EDIT1: I recently tried to set up another connection, and tried to manually enter DNS and IP ddresses as instructed - that got me a 52001 error, which I assume is not exactly the same thing as getting a 52000 error. Anybody enlightening me up on that?)

My question is: can I set up a Nintendo WFC using one of the VPN programs networking drivers?
    Why am I asking that: upon checking the WiFi settings, I get these three options listed in the bridge network adapter menu:

> WeOnlyDo Network Adapter (which is Wippien's)
    > TAP-Win32 Adapter V9 (Tunngle)
    > Nvidia nForce MCP Networking Adapter Driver (which I don't know what it belongs to)

While the last one of the abovementioned drivers could be assumed as the standard one for my computer, I certainly don't remember having a Nvidia-manufactured adapter for Networking, as my ADSL Modem is not manufactured by Nvidia, nor does the router I am using (which is a D-Link DIR-100 Wired Router).
    Also, I wonder why I get this Nvidia blah-di-blah adapter listed and not my router, or my modem, or whatever it is. I don't get the name of my LAN Connection listed in there, either.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I want to enable WiFi capabilities so I can take full advantage of the feature for my Pokemon Soul Silver gaming experience, and I could really use some of the species (or features) that require connection.

12. Hei

Hei Member

@ hanna rye

regarding your question, I would like to ask where is your LAN Ethernet cable connected?
    what I mean is this:
    you have an internet connection with a router right? then ur internet line map would be something like this
    phone line ---cable--> router ----cable---> PC

since you connected an Ethernet cable to ur pc, and assuming you did not install any additional modems in your PC's hardware AND just inserted that Ethernet cable at the back of your desktop/laptop computer where it fits (usually it is near the USB ports and stuff) then you have to select, from the wifi settings, the BUILT IN internet modem of your MOTHERBOARD in which case i think is the NVIDIA one.

the point is you use the one on which your ethernet cable is plugged (choose it from the wifi config menu in the emulator)
    and oh try pressing the ctrl+r when the emulator starts until you get the "firmware save config: done" msg

also try downloading the r3947 wifi compatible(?) with WINPCAP 4.1.1 package from the OP on page 1
    cause from my experience, I was getting errors ranging from the 2XXXX ones to 5XXXX ones then used winpcap v4.1.1 and used the mentioned revision of the emulator and I made it work and even made game sync work earlier(finally!)

sorry if the post is a little vague (⌒_⌒;)

@thehaxforu
    dude, try doing the winpcap thingy and download the thing, all of which I mentioned above and maybe it would work. and don't forget the usual stuff like firewalls, permissions(assuming you use win7), ctrl+r etc etc..

13. RCTrue

RCTrue New Member

This thread is great. I am having some issues but I'm sure its on my end somehow. I am getting the error code 52000

Right now I am running DeSmuMe xSVN3947 with the WinPcap 4.1.1 with the first Firmware replacement package.

I had attempted to use the later versions, but they were causing even more errors. I have gone through to make sure they had admin control, weren't being stopped by firewalls, or anything else. I am direct connected as so "outlet -> router -> LAN line -> Laptop".

I have read through the first few pages and last few pages and I know that these are the main suggestions:
    Problem is, I did 4, 5 &6. I cant do 1 & 3 because the options are greyed out so I cant click on them and as for 2 I cant change the PPPoE/A. So at this point, I'm not exactly sure what to do.

14. Hanna Rye

Hanna Rye New Member

I have a router for handling Internet traffic among multiple computers. I have an ADSL modem to which the router is connected via Ethernet, then another Ethernet cable connects it to the PC.
    The map is this one:
    Phone line ----(ADSL filter)----> ADSL Modem ----(Ethernet cable)----> Router ----(Ethernet cable)----> Computer
    Modem and router are two separate devices in my case, but how it works is (or at least should) be what you said.
    As for the device, I tried both the installed network adapter (which is NVIDIA no longer but Realtek etcetera since I reverted to my usual PC config just this morning) and the WeOnlyDo network adapter, which is the one Wippien uses (Wippien is a VPN simulator, I would like to know if I can use that as well while setting Wifi or not).
    As for the version, I used r3947 with both 4.1.1 and 4.1.2, same errors. I'll keep trying as I never used the latest DeSmuME version and there might be other combinations I didn't try.

Thank you for your help, I will make some other tries and report anything that could come to any use. Please let me know about any chance of using VPN with DeSmuME!

EDIT: used latest version with 4.1.2, I received a bunch of "Received a packet of lenght 364 bytes" message during testing but the result is still error 52000. (while using Wippien adapter)

EDIT2: same situation, only this time I selected my physical network adapter (Realtek blah-di-blah). A wall of "Received a packet of 64 bytes" messages, all with Frame control 0108. No result though, error is 52100. I inserted manually all my connections info: IP address, subnet mask, gateway, DNS addresses. Nothing will ever unstick me from error 52xxx.

EDIT3: I don't have a built-in modem. The modem is external, as well as the router.

15. RCTrue

RCTrue New Member

I think the "bytes" message is an update between 4.1.1 and 4.1.2.

I had the same thing happen when I was using it.

16. erkinacar5

erkinacar5 Member

Sorry for a little off-topic question but isnt there anyway for using desmume-wifi with wireless connection yet?

17. Jhon 591

Jhon 591 Well-Known Member

Officle.

DeSmuME 0.9.8 released!

http://desmume.org/

18. Prectorian

@Hanna Rye,
    If you can't config the infrastructure with any PCI-E option, likely it might not work. Not to mention your connection mapping is rather long and in direct, it could also be the cause of your errors.

@RCTrue,
    If your connection is as what you said, it should have worked without any problem by just following the instruction on page 1.

@erkinacar5,
    No, there isn't any way yet. Though there been someone saying it can be done via teetering on certain mobile phone though it might not work on most other.

@Jhon591,
    Nice news, but the official version doesn't support WIFI. The official team from the start doesn't want to support it because they want to avoid any dispute with the big 'N'. Hopefully th dev group will add the feature later on.

19. erkinacar5

erkinacar5 Member

Back to topic, in pokemon black, when I go to entralink, it seems it doesnt connect to any other player's world through those bridges.. Is it game related or emulation does not support such a connection yet? It seems I can use wifi whenever it asks "Shall I connect blabla" but when connection must be automatic it seems to fail

20. RCTrue

RCTrue New Member

I believe I found the issue. I believe one of the programs dislikes PeerBlock. I usually run it in the background(for personal reasons) and I just so happened to restart my computer and ran DeSmuMe and WinPcap without restarting peerblock. I got the center "Online" hex blocks to light up green instead of the red that I was getting. Haven't really tried anything with it yet though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.