1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Wood R4 - The New Firmware 99.8% Compatibility (CK3)

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by CoolKill3r, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Noisy1

Noisy1 Member

I've tried several times to get YSmenu and WAIO to work on this cart:
    [​IMG]

Is my card compatible with any of these? I just found it a long while back (it used to work but I accidentally deleted everything in it), so I don't know what website distributes this card...

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. It never boots automatically and the menu theme never shows up properly. I can play most games, but the theme problem is very annoying. :(

2. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

I guess this post is no longer relevant nor does it need response, since the issue been sorted out through this topic: http://forum.romulation.net/index.php?topic=61950.0

Wood R4's interface does looks so much better than YSMENU/TTMENU, and that makes people wish they can use it even though can't. But don't see it with one eye as the quality of YSMENU/TTMENU is just as good, in fact it gets much faster updates than Wood. Fortunately for me, my R4 flash cart can run both YSMENU and WOOD R4 thus I have 2 secondary firmwares in one cart. :p

3. raymondswong

raymondswong Member

I'm using an r4i gold pro from /www.r4i-gold.com./

Can I use any of the kernels listed?

I'm using the one from /www.r4i-gold.com./ but there are games that are freezing like Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon, Metal Slug 7 and Advance Wars Days of Ruin to name a few.

4. Prectorian

No. Try looking at the compatibility listed in YSMENU/TTMENU topic, yours probably among those listed there.

5. raymondswong

raymondswong Member

@prectorian

Alright will do. But if you check www.r4i-gold.com, it uses WOOD actually?

6. Prectorian

True, however that isn't the official version released by Yellow Wood Goblin. Your cart isn't among those supported by him. The ones I posted here are the official version only. The current version by him is v.1.61, the one there is at highest v.1.60.

If you're already using WOOD R4 from that site, continue using the updates from there. Do not use the ones from him, since if you do, it very most likely won't work. The issue with the games you want to play not working cannot be solved by using his WOOD R4, you need to use the unofficial one provided by your cart's website. But do note that as listed by your cart's site, it's latest v.1.60 supports up to rom no. 6170, while the rom released are already at no. 6222. Thus quite a lot to catch up from that site's version.

Alternatively, patch your rom copy using a patching tool such as DS-Scene Rom Tool, that is if the program has a patching file for that rom while you wait for the website to update itself. Otherwise if there's none, wait until your cart's website provide new upgrade. Usually, unofficial releases tend to wait for Yellow Wood Goblin to update his official ones before they are able to 'hijack' and incorporate it into theirs, which by the way could take very long time before he does update his releases these days. Also need to understand that as according to him (YWG), any unofficial releases of WOOD R4 not made or endorsed by him has the tendency of issues arising, and he takes no responsibility should such happens.

7. raymondswong

raymondswong Member

@prectorian

thanks for your reply! i'll check the DS-scene rom tool.

but regarding the rom number, i noticed that some of the games that ive encountered freezing, such as fire emblem shadow dragon, should be supported already since its rom no. 3398 for instance.

the games do boot up, but it would definitely freeze as well at random points.

have you encountered this before? and should i still use the ds-scene rom tool for example fire emblem even though it should be supported already? will that by chance fix the problem?

8. Prectorian

You could look into doing 2 other things if DS-Scene Rom Tool doesn't show it having any patching file for those older games you'd issues.
    1. Back up your SD Micro's content to your computer, format the SD Micro card, return all backed up files to the SD Micro, and try running
    the rom again; -or-
    2. Find/download a fresh/new copy of the troubled rom

Also make sure not to activate too many cheats for those games (should you did), as there could be possibility of a faulty cheat code in use.
    Do note that translated/altered rom (even though of older number) or recently redumped rom could have it's offsets changed due to it, thus sometimes needs a new firmware update for it to work properly, though this kind of alteration rarely effects WOOD as compared to YSMENU.

9. Jhon 591

Jhon 591 Well-Known Member

They is a small amount of AP on fire emblem shadow dragon, But "Not" the sort that can be added into the ROMTool.

It uses apart of the compressed ARM9 ram , out of range of what romtool uses .

How ever it should have been fixed by wood r4 firmware it self long ago.

Try what prectorian suggested ;)

10. Prectorian

If that still doesn't solve it, then wait till your flash cart's website provides a newer update for your cart. Since like I said earlier, the WOOD R4 provided there, isn't the official version as the ones supported by Yellow Wood Goblin. Thus you can't use the ones provided by him in his updates (which usually me, Jhon 591, CK3, or other member post in this topic). Only way is to wait for your cart site's if the above suggestion doesn't yet solve your issue. Good luck!

11. raymondswong

raymondswong Member

@prectorian @jhon

Again i appreciate your quick replies. I have tried the tool, and no AP patch has been found for the games that i'm experiencing freezing with (fire emblem, metal slug 7 and advance wars days of ruin) it seems that they dont have a problem to begin with.

Ive tried formatting countless times and using a different memory card, but the said games still freeze at random moments.

With this, ive been thinking of getting a new r4 card. We dont have much options available in my country, so id just like to ask if the r4 sdhc dual core from http://r4isdhc.com/ is original or just another clone.

12. Jhon 591

Jhon 591 Well-Known Member

13. farcry31

farcry31 Well-Known Member

better buy one of these cards

R4iGold 3DS / RTS (r4ids.cn)
    R4iDSN 3DS (r4idsn.com)

fast updates for Nintendo firmwares and good ds firmwares

14. Prectorian

Go with Farcry's suggestion if possible.
    As for your question, all R4 flash carts (apart from the R4 Revolution for DS which could only run 1GB and 2GB SD Micro Cards) are clones. Some are good quality clone such as the ones Farcry mentioned, others are terrible such as the ones bearing the name "Upgrade". However which you should choose is quite simple if you keep these in mind;
    1. Make sure you know which cart gets routine updates from it's official maker (such like that suggested by him)
    2. Make sure if you can't find one that does, your alternative would be to look for one that gets full support by a secondary firmware such as
    Yellow Wood Goblin's WOOD R4 or RetroGameFan's YSMENU/TTMENU.

15. raymondswong

raymondswong Member

hey guys thanks for the suggestions!

ive been checking, and ive finally stumbled upon a seller of the /www.http://www.r4ids.cn/ R4i Gold 3DS. This should be the one to get, right?

Here are some the seller's pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Joel16

Joel16 Well-Known Member

Might wanna update your topic
    Wood R4 v1.62 is out:
    http://filetrip.net/nds-downloads/flashcart-files/download-wood-r4-162-f32256.html

17. Prectorian

UPDATE:

Yellow Wood Goblin's Latest WOOD R4 v.1.62

Changelog:
    Download Links:
    Wood R4 for R4 Original & M3 Simply : CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD
    Wood R4iDSN for R4i Gold (R4ids(dot)cn & R4idsn(dot)com) : CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD
    Wood RPG for Acekard R.P.G. : CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD

18. CoolKill3r

CoolKill3r Well-Known Member

Probally Saturday.
    Too much work (for what i care about it atm) to bother doing all the updating stuff.

19. CoolKill3r

CoolKill3r Well-Known Member

Anyone has v1.59 and 1.60.
    not findable on filetrip anymore, need them for updated data files being complete on filetrip.

Thank you.

20. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

They were exclusive R4iDSN releases.
    http://filetrip.net/nds-downloads/flashcart-files/download-wood-r4idsn-162-f32257.html