1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Any Android Phone Experts here?

Discussion in 'Gaming Lounge' started by Dark Infernape, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Dark Infernape

Dark Infernape Raiden 雷電

Help Installing Final Fantasy IV on My Android Device

[​IMG]

I've succesfully dowloaded and played the android version of FF III on my android device, i didnt purchase it though, i downloaded it from a site for free...
    I tried the same with FF IV, installed it, but im not able to play it on my device...
    If someone here knows a lot about installing games with cache, you can read further, else there is no need to continue reading, coz this will make no sense to you...

I installed the .apk file in my phone and copied the cache file (main.120.com.square_enix.android_googleplay.FFIV_GP.obb) to the phone memory.
    /mnt/sdcard/Android/data/

Thats what the site says to do, but even after doing this, it doesnt work for me...
    When installation finishes and i open the game, it shows "Connecting..." and says "connection error", even with my wifi network enabled...
    FF III Required the same steps to work, and it worked for me...

If anyone here knows what to do, or had the same problem and found a solution for it, please HELP...

2. Fylgja

Fylgja High level Neet

have you tried using lucky patcher?

3. Dark Infernape

Dark Infernape Raiden 雷電

no i havent tried that yet... ive read a lot of comment/reviews that it wont work anymore?? not too sure though...

4. NintyRaccoon

NintyRaccoon Passive member since March 13, 2017

Sorry for bumping this thread, @Dark Infernape . But did you manage to solve it in the end?

Because from what I understand from your description, it sounds like you've run into an anti-piracy mechanism which forces the game to connect to Square Enix' servers in order to validate the license. If the license is invalid, the app stops running.

I had the same problem when I tried to install Double Dragon (not DotEmu's version) several years ago, and I never managed to solve it.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  5. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

Well, I just saw this topic myself. How on earth did I missed it back in 2013?! :rolleyes:

Anyway, regardless if a fix was found or not, I should point out that this was the issue/cause;
    Should have placed the OBB folder and file in the phone/tablet's internal memory; /internal memory/android/obb/, not in the DATA folder of either the internal memory or external memory. As in your case, you saved it into your SD Micro/external memory. Thus the issue. :)

So for future reference purpose, always place the OBB and DATA in the internal memory. While the apk can be kept anywhere.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  6. NintyRaccoon

I really have no idea. :p

Does this apply to all of the apk:s "floating around" on various websites? Or does this only work on the Android version of FFIV?

And this enables the game(s) to be able to be played offline at all times, without the need for an internet connection?

7. Prectorian

Yes, if its obb is provided.

No. If an app requires being constantly connected, you'll still need to go online. That includes if it requires additional data download.

8. NintyRaccoon

So if the obb isn't provided, then the game can't be played at all? Is there a way to "bypass" the lack of obb then?

Does this method require a "jailbroken"/"unrooted" phone? Or can any newly bought phone literally run every app with this method?

But then the servers will discover if the player is running an "unsupported" version of the app, right?

9. Prectorian

Not all apk requires a separate obb. Many are either in the apk or require downloading through the apk after it is installed.

No need to root.

No it won't. In fact e.g. in my case where FEH isn't officially released in my country, I get to play using downloaded APK by installing as a non-play store source. Each time a new update is available, I simply download the newer version (from my computer) and overwrite the existing in my phone. Also the method helps with installing apps marked as 'incompatible' in the play store, when they should have been compatible. Apps are sold base on regions, if the dev doesn't include your country as part of its sales region, then it won't show up in your account. E.g. Japanese language game apps don't show on my account, but that doesn't means it is not possible to find or even download. Of cause some apps may really be not compatible, which would be faulty when run, in which case you can simply delete/uninstall without leaving issues to your device.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  10. Dark Infernape

Dark Infernape Raiden 雷電

Yes i remember i managed to fix this back then and played the game on my mobile. 2013 was when i got my first android smartphone, i was still learnin the basics at the time :p

11. NintyRaccoon

Great!

What about other premium games which need "additional download", like Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic for example? While it's easy to install that game as a third party app, it still needs to connect to the game servers in order to download additional files. When that happens, the game stops because the servers recognise "an unauthorised usage of an unlicensed version".

So those games are unplayable then?

12. NintyRaccoon

So how did you fix it? With the same method which Prectorian had described?

13. Prectorian

In such case, you need to find a "signed" apk from the net.

14. NintyRaccoon

Is there a way to know for sure that a specific apk is "signed"?

15. Dark Infernape

Dark Infernape Raiden 雷電

o_O 4 years ago mate, i barely remember what i had for dinner last night :confused:

16. NintyRaccoon

@Dark Infernape
    Don't you play other premium Android apk:s using the same method?

17. Dark Infernape

Dark Infernape Raiden 雷電

No FF 3 and 4 were some of the last games i played on android. Haven't played any game on my phone since, until last year, when i installed PoGo, and Mobius.

18. Prectorian

I believe there is a way using an apk editor app, but don't ask me further detail since I lack the knowledge. Otherwise just trust the person who noted about it being 'signed' on his share link.

NintyRaccoon likes this.
  19. NintyRaccoon

Okay, I see. What do you think of the Android-versions of FF3-4 compared with the DS-versions?

20. NintyRaccoon

This knowledge you just shared with me (and any interested RomU-member) is enough for me to know where to look. Thanks Prectorian. Any help from you is appreciated.