1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Bad CRC Extracting - Wii Downloads

Discussion in 'Site Support' started by Trailjacker, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Trailjacker

Trailjacker Member

SO far only one download from the WIi area I have tried out of 10 ( and I tried some more than once ) are giving CRC errors when extracting with both Winrar and 7zip. I have downloaded one at a time on a stable 75mbps connection using varying download managers. Two examples are Transformers - the Game and Press Your Luck. What else might I try or could they all just be bad archives?

Thanks

Me

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I have commenced a test of the files on our server, this will take some time.

3. Trailjacker

Trailjacker Member

Thank you, I appreciate your time. I can list the handful I have had trouble with in the Wii section if that helps at all. Thank you.

4. Loonylion

our system does all of them automatically, and I think in future I might be able to make it quicker.

5. Trailjacker

Trailjacker Member

May I ask, out of curiousity and being new, do those files get corrupted upon upload with a good copy being available for reupload, or do they get taken down indefinitely until a suitable archive is found to replace it?

6. Loonylion

it depends. In this case unfortunately all our Wii files have checked out fine, so the problem is occurring during download.

7. Trailjacker

Trailjacker Member

What could my issue be then? When I download on different machines I have the same issue but the same two archives (and only those two archives) download fine when I tried to test different devices and on different networks.

8. Loonylion

this may seem like a strange question, but to where are you trying to extract it, specifically what is the file system in use. I ask because FAT32 can't handle files bigger than 4gb, and trying to extract to a fat32 volume will fail if the uncompressed file exceeds 4gb, which press your luck and probably a large proportion of our Wii ISOs do.

9. Trailjacker

Trailjacker Member

NTFS SSD 1TB drive. The same drive in the laptop that is downloading it. I will say I've noticed that archives that are downloaded during first login have a high success rate. ( Ive gotten more to download) but it seems like if there is a lapse in login then the rest fail. I don't know if its a cookie issue or a timeout but there is a strange issue that isnt connection or hardware related on this end. I run personal servers on my NAS, vpns and proxies on my network, and my laptop is treated like a queen. I am starting to suspect a corruption based on a timeout/authentication issue. I dont know if its on my end or a romulation setting that I am simply not adhereing to for some reason.

10. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Once your connection is going there is no more authentication done, but even then our authentication does not time out across connection, nor do we use cookies.

There can be a few reasons for consistent bad CRC and with us having checked the files on the server and excluded that option that leaves.

1) Corrupted during download due to unstable connection between you and our server.
    2) Old version of extraction software that does not understand the latest compression protocol.
    3) Unable to write to disk/read from file and software mis-reporting the issue.

It's very possible 1) is happening but not much we can really do about it :(