CHEAT.dat editing on R4i problems

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by griever08, Jul 12, 2010.

  1. griever08

    griever08 New Member

    I never like making new threads, but I've searched for a while now and have yet to find a solution. So, here's my problem.

    I own a NDSi and a R4i. The firmware is up to date. The CHEAT.dat included sucks, so I went ahead and cleared the whole thing with the Cheat Code Editor v1.01 (r4cce I believe its called). I proceeded to add my own cheats found online. Saved, loaded the cheats, everything is working fine.
    A few days later, I decide to add more cheats. With the Cheat Code Editor, I add more cheats to my CHEAT.dat and delete the .cht in my roms folder so as to rebuild it. Well, once I enter the menu and access the cheat list on the NDSi, I found that some of the cheats I had added earlier disappeared. I opened the .cht with a text editor, and it looks like some of the codes got merged halfway through.
    It only seems to happen with longer codes. If I delete every code except for the smallest, it loads just fine. I tried adding one code at a time with the Cheat Code Editor. The first long code worked fine along with the smallest, but when I added the second, the two of them got merged in the .cht and the second did not appear in the cheat list. During this process, I did not delete the .cht, because I learned you can rebuild it in the NDSi by pressing Start at the cheat list. It doesn't matter either way, I guess, but this way is faster.

    .cht before 3rd code:
    ;@@@@@ Game Code: IPGE
    ;@@@@@ CRC32: 0x2D5118CA
    ;@@@@@ Number of Cheats: 2
    #Easy Captures
    ;@Data Length: 6
    ;------------------
    92247612 00002801
    12247612 00004280
    D2000000 00000000

    #Battle Wild Shining PKMN
    ;@Data Length: 38
    ;------------------
    5206E128 4284FE81
    E2000108 00000060
    021D15A8 41C64E6D
    00006073 02111880
    E92D40F0 E51F0010
    E5900000 E1D018B4
    E1D028B6 E0217002
    E1A071A7 E51F1034
    E51F2034 E51F3034
    E5910000 E0243290
    E0253294 E0246005
    E1A069A6 E1560007
    11A00004 1AFFFFF8
    E5810000 E8BD80F0
    1206E116 0000F792
    E206E118 00000010
    F7B1E800 1C05FE13
    FE10F7B1 43050400
    0206E128 E0001C28
    .cht after 3rd code:
    ;@@@@@ Game Title: Pokemon SoulSilver (U)
    ;@@@@@ Game Code: IPGE
    ;@@@@@ CRC32: 0x2D5118CA
    ;@@@@@ Number of Cheats: 3
    #Easy Captures
    ;@Data Length: 6
    ;------------------
    92247612 00002801
    12247612 00004280
    D2000000 00000000

    #Battle Wild Shining PKMN
    ;@Data Length: 38
    ;------------------
    5206E128 4284FE81
    E2000108 00000060
    021D15A8 41C64E6D
    00006073 02111880
    E92D40F0 E51F0010
    E5900000 E1D018B4
    E1D028B6 E0217002
    E1A071A7 E51F1034
    E51F2034 E51F3034
    E5910000 E0243290
    E0253294 E0246005
    E1A069A6 E1560007
    11A00004 1AFFFFF8
    E5810000 E8BD80F0
    1206E116 0000F792
    E206E118 00000010
    F7B1E800 1C05FE13
    FE10F7B1 43050400
    0206E128 E0001C28

    000000 00025A5C
    D2000000 00000000
    Additional Merge Info:
    This is actually one of the cleanest looking merges that happened. When I tried multiple big codes, I ended up getting odd, diamond-shaped characters and ';------------' halfway though codes. It was a real mess.

    I've tried everything and searched everywhere. I want to be able to handle my own cheat database, and not have to rely on CHEATS.dat posted online.

    Any advice? I don't want to be confined to 6 lined codes because all the juicy stuff is long. Is there a way to split up a long code into 2 or 3 smaller ones and have it work anyway? Or am I simply doing something wrong?

    Thanks
     
  2. iluvfupaburgers

    iluvfupaburgers Active Member

    try downloading the latest cheat code editor, and name your cheat file, usrcheat.dat, for some reason, r4s are better able to recognize usrcheat.dat than cheat.dat. i dont know why yours is in .cht format, try changing it to .dat
     
  3. griever08

    griever08 New Member

    Thank you for your help.

    I already have the latest cheat code editor. I tried replacing the database file CHEAT.dat for usrcheat.dat, but I get an error when compiling: "Error Cheat file is not found." I think usrcheat.dat is for regular R4's, while I have an R4i.

    As for the .cht, I think I didn't explain myself properly. In my MicroSD, I have 3 folders: _SYSTEM_ , MOONSHL, and ROMS. In the _SYSTEM_ folder, I have the cheat database, CHEAT.dat. In the ROMS, I have the game files. For example, Pokemon.nds Pokemon.sav. When you press Y to access the cheat database while selecting a game, a new file is created in the ROMS folder: Pokemon.cht. I believe this file is a quick access to the cheats for that specific game, so that the R4 doesn't have to search the cheat database every time. This file can be opened with any word processor. Those are the files I copied into my previous post, not the CHEAT.dat. Theoretically, I could simply use a text editor and input the codes directly into the .cht file...however, there are many invisible characters in the file, making it almost impossible to simply add codes.

    I'm still open for suggestions. Thanks again!
     

Share This Page