1. This forum is in read-only mode.

HeartGold/SoulSilver freezes on DeSmuME 0.98

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by isnorden, Feb 18, 2013.

1. isnorden

isnorden Member

• After setting up the latest version of DeSmuME for Windows ("we won't support Pokémon ROMs--go away!" :'( ), I tried to begin games on the US versions of HeartGold and SoulSilver. Unfortunately, the upper screen freezes after my avatar steps outside; the lower screen still works, but there's no way to escape it. I suspect anti-piracy protection here, but have zero technical skill with patching ROMs directly. Is there a way to fix the ROM so DeSmuME won't give me any more trouble?

P.S. I'm unable to use a console directly because of poor coordination/chronic health problems; even if I were to buy the games straight from the source, an emulator would be a must. If it makes any technical difference, here are the specs for the old computer I'm playing on--
      • Model: Dell Inspiron 3500
      • Operating system: Windows XP Home Edition with SP3 (32-bit)
      • Processor: Intel Pentium Dual CPU, E2180 @ 2.00 GHz
      • RAM: 3.25 GB (maximum that will fit in my machine)
      • Graphics card: ATI Radeon HD 5400, 2 GB

P.P.S. I tried the pre-patched versions in the "Universal Child's Play" thread just now, but still have the "freeze on exiting home" crash in both games.

2. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

With such a chronic health issue you got there, I suggest you shouldn't even start playing any electronic games. Doesn't matter if it's via console or emulator. Would be bad for your health. And I'm sure you won't want us to be held accountable if anything happens to you or make worst of your condition if we support you by giving technical support or provide patched roms to play those games when we are fully well aware of your health condition. We would be selfish and heartless if we allow you to play electronic games, when it would be bad for your health. Hope you understand our hesitance in helping you solve that gaming issue of yours. Your health should comes first above everything else.

3. isnorden

isnorden Member

Sheesh, ask for help and get an abusive answer...just trying to explain why I'm not using the "real thing". *shrug* Could someone please give me some actual help with the game problem?

4. Prectorian

Anyway, DeSmuMe can play Heart Gold and Soul Silver roms without patching it.
    If you still can't run it on DeSmuMe, try using No$Zoomer instead : http://forum.romulation.net/index.php?topic=58215.0

5. isnorden

isnorden Member

For what it's worth, prectorian, I could go into my entire medical history here; but that would be both rude and off-topic. (The information on my Facebook page is enough to answer some basic questions, if you doubt that I was telling the truth.) Cutting to the chase...online gaming is much more interesting than the usual activities at the nursing home I live in, and keeps my hands exercised so they don't get damaged too badly. :)

In any case, thank you for answering my original question; I'll give that link a shot and let you know if the game unfreezes afterwards.

6. Prectorian

Never said I doubt your words.

I'll give you pre-patched roms if you still have trouble. I'll post them here later on once I can. But really, my respond is correct, DeSmuMe don't require pre-patched roms to play. Try using the DeSmuMe v.0.9.7 if you have trouble running the v.0.9.8.

Edit 1:

Here's the No$Zoomer full package you might want to try use : http://www.mediafire.com/?js0l3kmi9pxigiu
    (make sure the SAVE FILE is set to FLASH512Mbit after loading the rom via Zoomer)

Here's the v.0.9.7 DeSmuMe for XP : http://www.mediafire.com/?5dsyr40ctp0dwfz

If you decide to use the v.0.9.7, you might want to download these too: http://www.mediafire.com/?0i5zl0336ynwk26
    Use those 3 bios file by assigning them via CONFIG - EMULATION SETTINGS though the v.0.9.7 DeSmuMe. I've tested the pre-patched HGSS roms, they don't freeze. But you do want to save your progress at intervals for safety.

Edit 2:

Here's the pre-patched Pokémon HeartGold : http://uploadmirrors.com/download/OJLJRRXG/PKMHG_Patched_.rar
    Here's the pre-patched Pokémon SoulSilver : http://uploadmirrors.com/download/JMCPXZ8S/PKMSS_Patched_.rar

7. isnorden

isnorden Member

Thank you so much for the No$Zoomer link; having a current copy in English made it much easier to set up properly. 8) Unfortunately, HGSS still won't work in that emulator: I've tried ROMs from three different sites, and gotten black-screen crashes after choosing my gender and name. Would you please help me with the patched versions as soon as you're permitted to do that? Thank you again!

8. Prectorian

I've already posted a HeartGold pre-patched link in the above, the SoulSilver is in process. A bit slow at the moment, will be up soon, probably need 30-40 minutes to have it completely uploaded. Just use No$Zoomer from the full package I provided (thanks to : Jhon 591). You might want to make sure the SAVE FILE is set to FLASH512Mbit after loading the rom via Zoomer.

Oh, there is a pre-patched English fan-translated HGSS rom on this site's main DOWNLOAD page. It's less likely to glitch compared to the official English version. Anyway, in the process of uploading that SS rom.

Edit:

Check previous post. All links are up there.

9. isnorden

isnorden Member

Tried 0.9.7 with the binaries, and got white-screen crashes from ALL the HeartGold ROMs I had; I think I'll be sticking with No$Zoomer. Best of luck uploading SoulSilver when you have time though--I can't wait to catch my favorite! ;D

10. Prectorian

All links are up, see Reply #5. If it work on No$Zoomer, just stick to using that.

edit:

If you still have problem, try adding these Action replay codes to the cheats list after loading the rom via Zoomer;

020DE16C E1A00000
    020D3FA8 E1A00000

make sure to tick it, and choose RAW Action Replay. Then reset/reload to activate the cheats. Which by the way should have worked using pre-patched without those AR codes.

11. junit123

junit123 New Member

Hey, this thread isn't THAT old considering how in-active most emulator stuff is... so I just wanted to say thanks to prectorian because putting in those codes worked.

So yeah... thanks :)... Im on a Macbook Pro "15 bought in late 2012

12. isnorden

isnorden Member

I tried the codes and the situation got worse: the game now freezes after I choose a gender/name and Professor Oak sends me off. I'm using No$Zoomer with the same PC as usual; if anyone else has a workaround for this problem, I'd greatly appreciate the help. Many thanks!

13. Jhon 591

Jhon 591 Well-Known Member

The action replay code for Clean ROM's only for Either Pokemon HG/SS [USA] .

Code:
    ::AP Fix
    520DE16C 1AFFFFFC
    020DE16C E1A00000
    E2000010 0000005C
    E28FE004 E51FF004
    02000970 E92D003C
    E5950004 E28F2030
    E8920030 E59F2034
    E0801002 E891000C
    E1520004 01530005
    1A000001 E59F3018
    E5813000 E8BD003C
    E9950003 E51FF004
    020D8C1C D10A2800
    481822FA E00A2800
    00000274 643753DA
    020D8C14 E51FF004
    020D8C18 02000010
    E2000300 0000002C
    E59F001C E5901000
    E59F2018 E1510002
    03A01072 05C01008
    03A0108E 05C010C4
    E12FFF1E 0225F0A0
    E0095D34 8407568E
    02000A18 EAFFFE38
    D2000000 00000000

Improved by and thanks to Demonic722

Anyway worth a try either for no$gba vr no$zoomer are DeSmuME

14. isnorden

isnorden Member

Tried the codes above with the HGSS ROMs on this site; on No$Zoomer I got frozen in the middle of a trainer battle, and on DeSmuME I got locked out after choosing my gender/name. Guess I'll never be able to play those games out; it's too bad, because the little I've been through is awesome!

15. Jhon 591

Jhon 591 Well-Known Member

I guess your best bet is look out for pre-owned original games, after all this time should be fair cheap .

In the UK, also a Ds lite pre-owned can be pickup for a little as £35 max . are DS original £15 to 20 pound.

Nothink better then the real deal and hardware xd.

16. Prectorian

You're very welcome.