1. This forum is in read-only mode.

iDeaS crashes instantly upon launch

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Jo2000, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Jo2000

Jo2000 New Member

Haven't seen anyone having the same issue. sorry if it is a common problem with an easy solution, but by just searching the internet I didn't find any help.
    I downloaded iDeaS from different sources (here and Emuparadise) with the same result: I double click the application, the two familiar windows for the two screens pop up, but quickly followed by the standard crash message.
    Since I'm not very good with 'in-depth PC usage' it might be something pretty obvious I'm doing wrong, so please tell me about everything I could be doing wrong!
    Thanks in advance

2. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

You might be missing the Visual C++ runtime. Better get DeSmuMe or No$GBA, if you want to play nds rom. Easy to locate via Google.

3. Neon32

Neon32 Neo-Noir

iDeaS is a pretty old emulator with no current development going on. So as Prectorian said use the DeSmuME emulator .
    you can get it here : http://desmume.org/download/

4. Jo2000

Jo2000 New Member

I have DeSmuMe, used it a lot already. I just heard that iDeaS works as a 2ds emulator aswell, and I would like to use that to run my 3ds roms on it. (I tried citra but most of the games just run at super low speed, and due to the 3d feature being the main reason for that and I don't need that feature, switching over to a 2ds emulator was just a logical inference.)
    And thanks for your advice regarding visual C++ runtime. I couldn't find it on my PC, so I went to download it. However after downloading the latest version and installing it, the issue hasn't changed, iDeaS still crashes instantly...

5. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

I've never heard iDeaS able to play 3DS games, it's not even able to play some of the newer NDS rom since it's too old and abandoned. And there's no 2DS emulator, the Citra is for 3DS games but it hasn't any 3D in it. It running certain games slow or not run at all is a combination of your pc spec and/or because the emulator hasn't support the game you wish to play fully well. In this case, your iDeaS crashing has nothing to do with not having Visual C++ runtime in it, rather because you tried running a rom not meant for it. How it even got detected is an enigma to me.

6. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

iDeaS does not run 3DS games in any shape or form.

7. Jo2000

Jo2000 New Member

Alright thanks for your help.
    First of all, I think you got that part with my crashes wrong. The emulator doesn't crash upon opening a game, but instantly when I just open the emulator.
    Luckily I don't have to bother fixing that issue anymore since you told me that it can't even run 3DS roms anyways, so I will just go back to DeSmuMe and citra, because the first one never let me down and the second one at least tries!
    Though I'm still a bit annoyed by the fact that citra has been in development for quite a while now and they still didn't optimize it very well yet, but I should probably not blame them since I could not do better myself, the 3ds meta seems to be very complex anyways so I better shut my mouth and stop complaining!
    By the way, do you guys know how high their priority on implementing the 3d feature into citra is? Do they even care about it? Do they want to get it done asap? Because I don't see a reason to have it, noone's gonna use it anyways, just like on the actual console ^^

8. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

no reason to be annoyed, emulators are very complex programs and are almost always the result of reverse engineering and trial and error. it takes years to get them right and thats just how it goes.

Jo2000 likes this.
  9. lullabysong

lullabysong Member

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime is not cumulative; you have to get all the versions. In other words, you must get not the latest version but the one used by iDeaS for the emulator to run.

As for Citra, although there is a Citra Team creating Nightly Builds, Citra itself is open source. The "Bleeding Edges" are created by different people not directly affiliated with Team Citra. Some Bleeding Edge versions focus on implementing 3DS features, others focus on accuracy, others on emulation speed. You must use the version most appropriate for your purposes and game compatibility (Don't expect Metroid - Samus Returns to run flawlessly on all Citra versions released prior to October).

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    Jo2000 likes this.