1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Installing 'Wood R4' [For Original R4 and Clones]

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Kiekoes, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Kiekoes

Kiekoes Guest

Tutorial for installing Wood R4 and downloading/playing games for Original R4 and Clones

Version 1.0
    Content:
    1. Is your R4 an Original R4 or a clone.
    2. Downloading the right firmware/software.
    3. Setting Wood R4 up.
    4. Downloading and Pplaying Games.

1. Is your R4 an Original R4 or a clone.
    First, take the card out of the DS. Take a good look, does it only say 'R4 Revolution for NDS/NDSLite' (Or something related).
    Or does it say R4 SDHC, R4 RTS, R4 v1.4, R4 Gold, R4i Gold etc. If it's the first one (R4 Revolution for NDS) than it's a original R4.
    If not, than it's a clone/fake.

2. Downloading the right firmware/software.
    Ok, now we found out if it's a Original R4 or a clone/fake, we're gonna download the rigth firmware. Got to the Woord R4 RomU Topic from 'Coolkill3r' and download the newest version
    Ok, if you have a Original R4, download 'Wood R4 v1.05.9 for R4 Original'. If you have a clone, download 'Wood R4 v1.05.9 for R4 Clones'.

3. Setting Wood R4 up, playing games.
    Ok, here is the 'readme' for Wood R4:
    Setup:
    Place the _rpg directory and the _DS_MENU.DAT into the ROOT of your microSD card.

Compatibility:
    Everything that works on Wood R.P.G. should work on Wood R4.
    Wood R.P.G. has 99.8% compatibility.
    All future Anti-Piracy ROMs are not supported but could possibly be fixed.

Saves:
    Wood R4 supports RAW format save files named ROM-NAME.nds.sav.
    You will need to rename your save files in order to make use of them.

4. Downloading and Playing Games
    Now we are gonna download games from RomUlation, we take MarioKart DS for a example. Download the game here.
    Ok, you click on download, and choose a server. Once it's complete downloading, go to the file and extract it with WinRAR.
    [IMPORTANT! IF YOU DON'T HAVE WinRAR YET, DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL IT! DOWNLOAD HERE: http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm ]
    Ok, this is an import rule: Always (Always!) extract untill you get a *.nds file! Now we have a *.nds file, we are gonna put it on the MicroSD.
    Once it is done copying, get the MicroSD out, put it in the R4, put on the DS, now we are on the boot menu. Just click 'A' when you're on MarioKart DS.
    Now you can play! Do this with all the other games you download.

2. callumsalter

callumsalter Member

Thanks So Much! Wood R4 Is So Awesome! :)

3. iKipooz

iKipooz New Member

There's no _DS_MENU.DAT for the R4 Clone package :O

4. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

I suggest pictures. They always make things more clear. I've also discovered that many people work better with a visual rather than just text.

5. athemoe

athemoe Well-Known Member

download the package for the original r4 and copie the dat menu ;)

6. lil_azn_a55a5in

lil_azn_a55a5in Well-Known Member

you dont have to rename ur sav files i didnt and it still works fine.

7. drybones41

drybones41 Well-Known Member

You have to rename it in one case. If you have a save that was created when you used a different firmware like YSmenu or R4 1.18 that save will not work unless you rename it. When it's created using different firmware (excluding wood r4) for r4 the save will have .sav extension, wood r4 cannot use it until you change the extension for[inset game nam] .sav to [insert game name].nds.sav

8. edombo

edombo Active Member

hey i did the clone link cause i got r4 sdhc , i did rename my Sav. files into .nds.sav i saw wood rpg in my game list, went to my game art academy but it seems its not working, be4 i got wood i got this error with art academy "load errcode=-4 please reset system" and now i get this "load errcode=-1 please reset system" what am i doing wrong? i posted _rpg and the wood file and _ds_menu into the root but it seems my art academy isn't working

9. dills2

dills2 Well-Known Member

dont use it the clones one will never be updated and dosent work

10. CoolKill3r

CoolKill3r Well-Known Member

For the latest information, downloads and guides go here:
    http://forum.romulation.net/index.php?topic=39701

11. JohnnieBob

JohnnieBob Well-Known Member

Should it work with this?
    [​IMG]

(It won't load for me AT ALL :| )

12. dupasuka

dupasuka Well-Known Member

Will it work on the DSTT?
    it's an R4 clone after all

13. drybones41

drybones41 Well-Known Member

wood r4 original won't work. Use wood r4 for clones.
    Nope

14. sajon123

sajon123 Well-Known Member

can i get woods r4 to work on r4i sdhc

15. Inunah

Inunah Well-Known Member

R4i SDHC is a clone, therefore it will not work with Wood R4, however, you could try Wood R4 for Clones, but that hasn't been updated in a while and probably doesn't work very well.

16. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

Wood R4 for clones is very outdated and is awful. It is totally useless when trying to play any games made with in the last six months or so that have AP.

17. robbiep75

robbiep75 New Member

I tried updating software on the R4 card, bt backed up the original software just in cae. The wood software wont work just get 'loading' when I ve deleted all the new software and put the old software back on I'm still getting loading! pulling my hair out after 2 hours on this toay

18. sajon123

sajon123 Well-Known Member

dose WAIO work on r4i sdhc because i tryed it and i get black screen and it switch to a white screen and gets stuck

19. summerxxxx1

summerxxxx1 Well-Known Member

hiya im just changing over to wood today i have original r4 cards
    just wondering all my present games like mario kart and pokemon heartgold ect..will they all work with wood??
    just wanted to know before i transfer all games over

20. Jhon 591

Jhon 591 Well-Known Member

Yes they should , unsure of pokemon - but it should

For your R4 original just R4wood v1.13

http://filetrip.net/f13014-Wood-R4-1-13.html

Put

__rpg
    _DS_MENU.DAT

into the root of your microSD chip - make a Game's folder if you like for your games

R4wood use's a diffrent save then the normal firmware - you may need to start a fresh with saves

Are rename them with file extention enabled on your pc - to .nds.sav

Im sure it might be a caps ending .nds.SAV

http://gbatemp.net/t227742-new-users-guide-to-setting-up-wood-r4