1. This forum is in read-only mode.

NDS Flash Carts

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by Almo, May 13, 2008.

1. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

UPDATED LIST - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DS_storage_devices

Heres a quick thread with information on the most popular NDS Flash Carts, Its really just here for people who are too lazy too look. May look at adding a rating /10 later on.

Acekard R.P.G *-/10*

The Acekard R.P.G is the only device on the market to feature both NAND memory, and a MicroSD slot.

The Acekard R.P.G, like most newer devices, is able to utilise the newer SDHC cards, which range from 4GiB to 32GiB. The Acekard R.P.G come with a Mini USB cable, to connect the card with a computer to access the 1GB of internal NAND memory. The card is currently the only card with a completely open source loader, this has led to numerous custom loaders, with a wide range of extra features, the most prominent of these features is the native support of the EZ Flash V 3 in 1 expansion pack, which enables the Acekard R.P.G to utilize the internal PSRAM for the Nintendo DS Browser, the Rumble function in games which support it, and the ability to load GameBoy Advance games to either the PSRAM or the NOR memory. This is also one of the best flashcarts on the market, the built in memory is very helpful too.

CycloDS Evolution *-/10*

The CycloDS Evolution features DLDI auto patching and full DS download play support.

Like most other slot-1 devices, the CycloDS Evolution uses Transflash cards for storage and media to be played with the built in media player, but one major thing the CycloDS has that other slot-1 flash carts do not is its capability to use SDHC cards, which range from 4GiB to 32GiB. The CycloDS Evolution package comes with a fast USB MicroSD reader/writer compatible with SDHC. The "Enhanced Mode" provides unique features activated through an in-game menu, like slow-motion, soft reset, a built-in cheat device, a realtime save feature, and the option to change the brightness of the DS Lite's LCD backlight in-game.

The card also acts as a pass-me and slot-2 cards like the 3-1 extension or G6 lite can be recognized as expansion packs for the CycloDS Evolution. This allow to extend memory for DSLinux, to play GBA games launched from the Slot-1 device and to use the Opera Web Browser, which normally requires a separate RAM expansion pack. This is common in most new flashcarts. Also, you still need a Slot 2 flashcart, and regularly, you can patch the ROM to boot it to Slot 2 or viceversa with virtual RAM, and then run it. Do not get confused with this.

Datel Games n' Music *-/10*

The Games n' Music is a slot-1 device made by Datel. It uses microSD cards for storage, like many other slot-1 devices. It uses a similar firmware to the Max Media Dock, but accesses data from the microSD rather than the slot-2 CF device. This device was considered a poor choice for homebrew by many, because it did not have a DLDI and could not run many applications, but it has since been hacked and a DLDI driver has been written.[1] The Games n' Music is one of the few homebrew devices to make it into stores, along with Datel's other device, the Max Media Dock. There have been some issues, however, with compatibility with certain microSD cards not working, MP3's not playing, and the device crashing or freezing the DS.

This CANNOT run commercial ROMs, and barely homebrew, so do it not even consider this a "flashcart" worth buying.

DS Link *7/10*

The DS Link was one of the earliest slot-1 devices, and like most other cards, it uses MicroSD cards for storage. The DS Link wasn't as popular as its competitors because unlike all other cards, it does not contain a No-Pass, which means you must use a Mk-4 Mini to boot it, or flash your DS with FlashMe. The loader was recently updated to support the newer SDHC cards. This is a cut between a first to second generation line of flashcarts, meaning it is harder to use for the average beginner.

DS-Xtreme *4/10*

The DS-Xtreme flash card is a one-card solution contains 4 Gbit (512 MiB) (or a newer 16 Gbit model (2 GiB) of internal flash memory, with no option to add external memory on top). The DS-Xtreme hardware supports the generic USB Mass Storage specification, and therefore functions as a drag & drop USB drive, with no additional drivers needed. After connecting the DS-Xtreme to a PC via an included USB cable, files can be transferred to the DS-Xtreme memory and be used on the DS immediately thereafter. Although 100% of the games boot, some of them have glitches, some have freezes, and some don't save.

G6DS Real *-/10*

The G6DS Real comes with a built in 2GB, 4GB or 8GB(expandable) of NAND memory and offers a simple drag and drop interface via its USB linker with high speed USB 2.0 write speeds as his predecessors.

It supports Action Replay Max and 1:1 gameplay, offering ROM backup compatibility and playback for commercial DS cartridge. It offers everything that its competitors do, such as skinning, soft-reset and DLDI auto-patcher. One feature unique to the G6DS Real is that it allows the user to select whether or not the card bypasses the Nintendo DS' main menu, and go straight to the G6 Real's loader. This has been known as a clone or copy of the M3DS Real, and viceversa.

M3DS Real *-/10*

The M3DS Real is similar to the G6DS Real in most respects, except that it uses MicroSD cards for storage. Like most other cards, it supports the newer SDHC cards, although users have been reporting issues with 6GB MicroSD cards. Unlike most newer storage devices that use MicroSD cards for storage, the M3 Real has a spring loaded MicroSD slot.

N-Card (NAND Card) *-/10*

It is the most cloned card on the market with about 6 or 8 different clones. It does not support cheat codes, but does have partial Download Play compatibility, even without FlashMe installed. One clone, the F-Card features a usb reader similar to that of the G6 Real, as opposed to the GBA slot linker of all the other clones.

NinjaPass *-/10*

NinjaPass is a one-card solution that uses Transflash cards for storage. A few games still don't work. Compatibility is highly dependent on the MicroSD card brand and model. The card works with most homebrew including but not limited to DSAIM, DSLinux, MoonShell, NesDS, LemmingsDS, and DSOrganize. It is compatible with microSD cards of up to 4 GB and works with cards of all speeds provided that the speed is adjusted for on the main boot menu before loading any applications. The product website provides users with all of the necessary startup software for download.

R4DS, M3 DS Simply, and their clones *5/10*

R4DS (Revolution for DS), YushenDS Card (YDC) and M3DS Simply are essentially the same hardware product - the difference between them is as small as a solder bridge placed on the PCB at the factory. The same method is used to distinguish between Chinese, English and Japanese (and German for the YDC) versions of the cards. The firmware for the various brand and language versions can be readily patched to work on other language or brand versions of the hardware.

Further confusion has been added by the arrival of poor-quality clones of the YDC(R4,M3) hardware - selling under the n5 and e7 brands, although the same hardware has been seen labelled both "R4DS Upgrade-II" and as a clearly counterfeit R6. The firmware for genuine YDC(R4) cards is encrypted, although the encryption scheme was broken in 2007 and several utilities exist for encrypting, modifying and decrypting YDC(R4) firmware. The n5 and other clones use an unencrypted version of the firmware; decrypted YDC(R4) firmware can be used on the n5 cards, and encrypted clone firmware can be used on the R4. The clones are reported to have a significant failure rate, and anecdotal evidence suggests that they have been responsible for damaging Nintendo DS consoles. The N5 will most likely brick your DS, and MicroSD, due to shortages in the circuits which damage the internal circuits of all hardware.

Recent versions of R4/M3/YDC Clone firmware support auto-DLDI patching. Nearly all flashcarts have this feature, so running homebrew is easier.

R4DS and M3DS Simply can't read SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity) cards due to hardware limitations, although there are some reports that the clones can read at least some 4 gigabyte SDHC cards.

The R4 is currently no longer updated, with no new original flashcarts being manufactured. Meaning that R4s that are purchased now are either clones, or fakes which are supported, depending. It has a decent compatibility rate with ROMs, but with later games, it is failing, having to resort to ARM7 patches and the use of YSMenu using DSTT to compensate for the compatibility issue.

SuperCard DS ONE *-/10*

SuperCard DS ONE *-/10*

SuperCard DS is a Slot-1 solution that uses Transflash cards for storage, made by the SuperCard Team.

However, SuperCard DS demands an extremely High-Speed microSD to fully utilize its gameplay function. Most of the games could not be played with other MicroSD cards, where they hung with a white screen after starting the game. Only a few High-Speed Micro SD cards are available in the market. Even when using High-Speed MicroSD cards, games will sometimes lag and freeze. Updates are maintained at sporadic rather than regular intervals. Such users should take care not to move the white sticker cover on the front facade as this would have dislocated the exposed chip out, and hence spoiling the product.

With the newer SDHC compatible models, games are playable with lower speed SD cards, nullifying the most significant problem with the original.

2. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Nice sticky :p For more information about these and more flashcarts, go here. They've got a lot of info :eek: Also, mention that the Games N Music can't play commercial ROMs, and that CycloDS requires a reasonably good quality MicroSD as well, unheard of brands won't work good with a few games. And that it has a nearly perfect compatibility rate with ROMS and homebrew and download play :p

3. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

With all of the cards, the media they use should probably have a fast read/write speed? this varies by manufacturer correct?

4. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

Yes thats true, Kingston and SanDisk are currently the best. I had a 2Gig Kingston and never had any problems.

5. lindalove

lindalove New Member

Ok.. so Im debating between CyCloDS and R4 DS. I hear CyClo is much better than R4 DS. But Im not to sure about it because I hear that pple buy R4 DS more than CyClo. Plus what do u need them kingston 2 GBs or Scandisk for???

6. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

i bought a kingston 2gb http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NIX2MM/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

hearing mixed things about the sdhc, cyclo supports these, up to 32gb. class 6 seems to be the fastest, heard someone say regular sd's are faster than sdhc but everyone else says different.

Don't know much but they are more expensive, a little. just an example of a sdhc http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VX6XL6/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=electronics "there are better prices around"

http://www.kingston.com/flash/sdhc.asp

Capacity* — 4GB, 8GB, 16GB**, 32GB**
    Dimensions — 0.94" x 1.26" x 0.08" (24mm X 32mm X 2.1mm)
    Weight — 0.09 ozs (2.5 g)
    High-Speed Class Rating — Class 2: 2 MB/sec minimum data transfer rate
    Class 4: 4 MB/sec minimum data transfer rate
    Class 6: 6 MB/sec minimum data transfer rate
    Operating Temperature — -13º F to 185º F (-25º C to 85 º C)
    Storage Temperature — -40º F to 185º F (-40º C to 85º C)
    Voltage — 3.3v
    Compliant — with the SD Card Association card 2.00 specification
    Secure — built-in write-protect switch prevents accidental data loss
    Compatible — with SDHC host devices; not compatible with standard SD-enabled devices/readers
    File Format — FAT 32
    Reliable — lifetime warranty†
    Simple — as easy as plug-and-play

for my needs, i got a regular sd, need it for things other than my cyclo "why i bought it before the cyclo" data transfer from cellphone 'photos' to pc."

7. anandjones

Yes CycloDS is newer and better. Always make sure to get the best branded MicroSDs etc., so you don't have any loading issues in the future. Cyclo requires a decent brand such as Sandisk or Kingston to run most games anyway.

8. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

with their"name brands" rediculously low prices, why buy off brands anyway? harder to find IMO, plus amazon free shipping.

9. waylonn

waylonn Well-Known Member

I always buy Kingston. Just because I never had any problems with it.

10. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

its a top brand and its the only ram chips i'll drop in a pc.

11. banhmr9001

banhmr9001 Member

I'm using a CycloDS Evolution and a 2gb Lexar MicroSD card and have had ZERO problems with it from day one.

I have not yet found a game that has had any compatibility issues with it, no crashes/etc., and no issues with speed.

I did a lot of research before I made my purchase, and I'm pretty convinced that the CycloDS Evolution is the best flash cart on the market for the DS.

12. anandjones

Lexar is a decent enough brand. Games that aren't big in size don't have speed reading issues, and also 3D ones help crash.

13. fallenleader

fallenleader Guest

they offer a expansion cart thing on dealwoot. its a slot 2 device which seems to hold gba games. but features both rumble and ram.

didnt read much but would this aid in crashing problems?

14. fuselight

fuselight Well-Known Member

Really cool! Thanks Almo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

15. t0mmyTC

t0mmyTC Active Member

i really want a cyclo now man...

16. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

This thread needs an update though, the R4 is no longer 9/10 since it doesn't get new firmware updates.

17. anandjones

I'd update it, if I could.

18. Barathrum

Barathrum Well-Known Member

have there been any games so far the r4 cant handle because of firmware, i havent had any porblems yet with my r4.

19. Metcalfe80

Metcalfe80 New Member

Ok, so what is the best option (easiest, fastest, best quality) for a DS+GBA cart? I've got a bunch of GBA and DS roms on my comp and i want to get my bro a linker for x-mas so he can play all of them on an actual DS. What do I need to buy and how much will it cost?

20. anandjones

Buy a Cyclo or Acekard for Slot 1, EZ Flash for Slot 2.