1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Project64: SP DMA WRITE Error, what is it & how do you fix it?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Cahos Rahne Veloza, Jun 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

I get this error message when playing some N64 games on Project64:
    [​IMG]

What problem is this specifying?

Also, when this error occurs, Project64 sometimes crashes.

2. marcy

marcy Guest

I'm using Project64 a lot and never seen this.

On which games do you get that error?

3. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Well, I used to get it on Castlevania64 (but now I no longer get it there), on Wheel of Fortune & on Tetrisphere

4. marcy

marcy Guest

sounds odd ...

I'll do what I can.

5. Cahos Rahne Veloza

I've finally figured out what that error is!

apparently when an N64 ROM isn't 100% fully compatible with Project64, the game can crash at one point, corrupting your save files also, so when that error occurs, you must delete your save file then restart the emulator & your game, if at the same point in the game the initial crash occured repeats, then that's probably the part the emulator is having issues with.

You can check if your games are 100% fully supported by clicking on "file", then select "directory", Project64 will list all your games along with the compatibility notes & what issues it may have with them.

6. marcy

marcy Guest

First of all sorry, I hadn't the possibility to reply you earlier.

I downloaded the Roms you mentioned and they run nearly perfect, even if I use worse plugins.

(Ohh... I can't believe I didn't see it before)

It appears to be a hardware error with your dma-controller.
    I don't know exactly, but it's possible that the dma-controller wants to write something in your ram and don't know where the entry belongs to.
    I don't know how to fix it.

Try out some plugins or change the emulator.
    I recommend Nineteen64, it's almost as good as Project64 and you can use the same plugins.
    http://1964.en.malavida.com/mvdwn/en/3787

7. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Well, in my case that error occurs randomly, another error I encounter sometimes is the "unknown upcode" error & one time I encountered an error saying "an excemption has occured, you may need to restart the emulator"

8. marcy

marcy Guest

These two errors seems related to the Roms.

Unknown opcode with some assembler-code is probably a line of code in the ROM, which the CPU cannot verify.

"an exception has occurred...": this is an error not even the main programmer of Project64 could deal with.
    If a window ever says that, the programmer didn't expect that error to occur, for sure.
    Otherwise he would give you more information on that error.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.