1. This forum is in read-only mode.

[PSX] Destrega - Happydays82

Discussion in 'Game Reviews' started by happydays82, Jul 20, 2009.

1. happydays82

happydays82 Member

Destrega Review.
    [​IMG]

Destrega is a underrated fighting game, that uses 'Powers' to send out attacks to their opponent. Only 2 players can fight against each other at a time, and the game does have a story mode, but it isn't very long and doesn't make up the bulk of the fun you can get from the game.

Graphics

The graphics are pretty good for a PSX game, and it's very easy to see you and your opponent at all times. The colors do not contrast very much and it is very easy to tell the height difference of two ledges. Every now and again the graphics can cause problems, as when you hide behind a post from attacks, the post completely disappears, instead of just fading, so you cannot tell if the post will block the other person's attacks or not.

[​IMG]
    When attacks collide.

Sound

The most used sound in the whole game must be when the players grunt. It doesn't really get annoying though, and while the voice-acting isn't very good for today's standards, the voice acting is only in the story mode and you can still understand them. The music is very catchy, and it will sometimes have you humming it while you fight.

[​IMG]
    Recognize these attacks form anywhere?

Gameplay

The bulk of the game, the gameplay. There are 3 types of magic you can use against your opponent. The first one is Speed magic, which you can use to catch the opponent off guard. The second one is Power magic, which takes longer to travel/cast than Speed magic, but does more damage. The final one is Span magic, which, as the name states, casts over an area, making it harder to dodge, but it does not do as much damage as Power magic, and isn't as fast as Speed magic. In addition to this, there are 3 types of close-range attacks, which you can use when in close-range mode. Close-range mode in initiated when you go too close to your opponent. Your magic bar is disabled until you get further away or jump, and you can use close-range attacks. The 3 types of magic attacks are as follows. Weak attack, which is the punching equivalent of Speed magic, Strong attack, which is the punching equivalent of Power magic, and finally, Sidestep attack, which makes the character move around the other player before punching them. There are several settings to fight in, each with objects that can block attacks. Certain attacks aren't blocked by walls, such as one of 'Relic's attacks, so don't bother hiding when they use that attack. This style of fighting is extremely fun to use, with the controls being easy to pick up but difficult to master. The only thing that is wrong with the gameplay is the fact that only 2 people can fight at a time.

[​IMG]
    An example of a close-range attack.

Plotline
    The plot of the story mode is about a Strega (a human who can form magic from their hands) called Gradd, who comes back to his village one day to find everyone murdered by a 'Relic'. He sets out to kill the person who has the master relic, called Zauber, which controls all Relics. Zauber is trying to get rid of all the Strega, and Gradd is one of the last Strega left. He joins up with Some of the other Strega left, and together they try to kill Zauber.

[​IMG]
    Gradd, the main character in story mode.

Lasting Appeal

This game has a story mode, but it's easy to finish in a few hours, with only around 22 battles. The main bulk of the game is the other modes, such as time attack, where you have to defeat every other character in the shortest time possible, and vs, where you can play other people on the ps1. The only downfall is that it doesn't have too much replayability.

In conclusion, This game is extremely fun to play, and is good in nearly all of the sectors, except maybe Lasting Appeal. I'd advise you'd pick this up if you see it in a store one day.

Presentation: 8/10
    Graphics: 9/10
    Sound: 6/10
    Gameplay: 9/10
    Lasting Appeal: 6/10.
    Overall: 38/50.

2. happydays82

happydays82 Member

Thank you. :D.
    Okay, I'll have the screenshots up soon, and I'll replay the story to get the plot line a bit fresher in my head. But I must ask one question, what is the difference between the graphics and the presentation sections. I took the presentation as being menu's and Heads Up Display.

3. happydays82

happydays82 Member

Ah, good to know, thank you. I now have more pictures up and added a plot paragraph. :D