1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Success: Help with R4 SDHC Revolution for DS (NDSL/NDS) w/ 2 GB SanDisk MicroSD

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by Noisy1, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Noisy1

Noisy1 Member

NOTE: none of the pictures are mine. I found them online.
    EDIT: PROBLEM FIXED! Click the spoiler below if you have the same problem I did! Can't find compatible firmware! :'(

For R4 SDHC Revolution (NDS/NDSL) users.

1. The kernels R4SDHC v1.34 or v1.32 might not work well for your card, so go to http://www.linfoxdomain.com/nintendo/ds/ and download R4SDHC_R4_v1.34_English.rar 29.46 MB instead!

2. Open the above firmware and delete everything except for these files: _system_ folder (keep all the files inside!), _DS_Menu.DAT, and _DS_MENU.INI.
    [Delete: _DS_MSHL.NDS, _PATCH, R4_PANDORA.NDS, r4dldi.dat, moonmemo folder, moonshl2 folder]

Create a "Game" folder and insert your backed up DS roms.

3. Go to http://forum.romulation.net/index.php?topic=43121.0, download the latest RetroGameFan Multi Cart Update, and copy the TTMenu folder, TTMenu.DAT, and YSMenu.nds from the R4-Clone YSMENU folder.

NOTE: Use the same link http://forum.romulation.net/index.php?topic=43121.0 to get the latest DAT files for the TTMENU folder that need to be replaced as YSMenu.nds gets updated. This allows you to play the latest games.

How to use: Turn on DS, load YSMenu.nds, choose a DS game to play.

_____
    Hello! I'm having a very tough time finding the right firmware for my flashcart.
    I have an old flashcart that looks like this (except the case is gray):
    [​IMG]

I found the above flashcart a few years back with games and firmware already inside the 2 GB SanDisk microSD card. It worked. Since then, I've used the microSD for other purposes and I think I accidentally backed up the firmware incorrectly.

Now on my black NDS lite, the menu that once looked something like this...
    [​IMG]

...now shows purple/dark-blue top and bottom screens. The Game, Multimedia, and Boot Slot-2 buttons are invisible, but still work, and so do most DS games I've tried. The Top screen has the words in black "R4DS English Version" on the bottom right portion.

My trouble is getting any theme to show correctly, and to get YSmenu or WAIO to work, if possible.

This is what I have tried so far:
    http://forum.romulation.net/index.php?topic=53771.0
    I tried the TTMENU for both R4 clones and R4 SDHC
    http://forum.romulation.net/index.php?topic=39701.0
    I tried WAIO on CoolK3ller's topic.
    Also this: gbatemp.net/threads/retrogamefan-updates-releases.267243/

Thanks in advance! Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! I don't want to have to buy a new flashcart if there is a way to salvage this one again.

Edit: I needed to install R4SDHC_R4 v1.34 firmware instead of the R4SDHC v1.34... I couldn't find that info anywhere else so I hope my problem will help others in the same situation.

2. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Re: Help with R4 SDHC Revolution for DS (NDSL/NDS) w/ 2 GB SanDisk MicroSD

Well... you must've not tried hard enough with RGF's YSMenu.
    See this: http://forum.romulation.net/index.php?topic=43121.0

Just download, format your microSD, copy over the files from the "R4SDHC" folder and you're good to go.
    Simple.

3. Noisy1

Noisy1 Member

Thanks. I just tried that. I get
    "Error: System files damaged
    Please reinstall system files

:(

4. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

Probably you hadn't did the steps as instructed in the document that came with the package, or had deleted/overwritten the R4's main files which shouldn't be removed.

5. Noisy1

Noisy1 Member

The instructions say that no other files are needed except for those found in the R4SDHC YSMenu folder... it replaces original firmware.
    As soon as I can, I will look for some original kernel and see if it needs a dual boot anyway. Do you know which one I need? I can only find some for R4 Upgrade Revolution... The ones I found for my R4 Revolution worked, but the theme doesn't show up and YSMenu doesn't work.

6. Prectorian

Try reading the compatibility list provided in the text file or from first page post in that topic to know which folder content to use. And NO! It's not used as a full replacement. You still need your R4's files. If you'd removed them, be sure to return it, otherwise it won't work.

7. Noisy1

Noisy1 Member

Edit: I don't know where this R4 came from, so I can't return it anywhere... It was on a broken DS that was given to me (I like fixing things.)

Thanks! I tried again and FINALLY, I happened to see the firmware that works without a hitch! I was using the wrong R4SDHC version. It has very, very similar naming.

The only difference between the names of the v1.34 firmwares I was looking at is the extra "_R4" in the one that works for me. I don't understand how I'm supposed to know which one is the right one, but trial and error paid off!

I chose
    •R4SDHC_R4_v1.34_English.rar 29.46 MB from the list on linfoxdomain.com

Now, all I need to do is figure out why when I put the R4SDHC YSMenu on top of this firmware, I get the "system files damaged" error.

Post Merge: [time]1373946520[/time]
    Thanks, Teddy! If this doesn't work out, I'll check out the site. Thanks for the tip :)
    Post Merge: [time]1373953093[/time]
    FIGURED IT OUT! Woot! Thanks ALL of you for helping me out. You really helped clear up my head as to what was going on... My R4 worked on different "original firmware" than was listed on the guides I was looking at. It might be a different SDHC clone, but I don't know the specifics. I want to edit my first post and leave it as a reference for others who had the same issues with their R4 SDHC.

8. Prectorian

Good to know it's sorted out. Wasn't able to be of much help since each time I responded to you before was via smartphone. Only in the evening (my time) am able to go online via my computer. :)

9. Juiceblue

Juiceblue New Member

Hey all!

i have just gotten an old R4(i) card and the only firmware i can run is Revolution v1.32 to work. and its outdated and cant play newer games.
    my thread is here - http://forum.romulation.net/index.php?topic=62656.0

i have been suggested to look at YSMENU to fix the issue. i understand this thread was for SDHC but i followed the steps and i have YSMENU running although roms are not working which i am sure someone here can tell me how to fix cause its possibly simple..
    But when i select any rom to load i get a pop up box with the message
    "Error
    Unsupported DLDI Name"

Does someone know why i get this? did i delete a file i shouldn't have by accident?

Thanks in advance.

10. Prectorian

I suggest you post your recent/current situation in your own topic instead of bumping an old already solved topic started by someone else.

11. erestil

erestil New Member

Hello I followed your solution in the spoiler u added but as a result I have a black screen when I switch on the nds.
    what I did:
    • Format SD with SDFormatter
    • downloaded R4SDHC_R4_v1.34_English.rar 29.46 MB
    • delete everything except for these files: _system_ folder (keep all the files inside!), _DS_Menu.DAT, and _DS_MENU.INI.
    • copied the TTMenu folder, TTMenu.DAT, and YSMenu.nds from the R4-Clone YSMENU folder
    • replace dats files from folders to TTMenu one
    I put all on my sd and it says I need loader (so I copy from the backup the loader.eng on the sd) and it need R4i.sys from _sys_ folder (so create a _sys_ folder in system and pasted the R4i.sys there) and it was all black no LOADING screen.

I tried to merge those files with a copy of the backup of the original files and the result is always the same .... any suggestion to help? :(

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ok I was installing the wrong kernel (LOL) because I was relying on that written on the card and not on the program when booted (how fool of me) anyway now I could put all where it have to be but I have black and white screen when opening YSmenu XD any fix?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok fixed XD I had to put r4 clones folder instead of r4i sdhc .... lol

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016