1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Which 3DS games do NOT require a firmware update?

Discussion in 'Game Help' started by angusangus, Nov 9, 2013.

1. angusangus

angusangus Well-Known Member

Hi all, I am considering buying a 3DS cart to try to play 3DS ROMs, but also to buy some pukka games such as Mario Kart 7.

I have recently learnt though that certain games such as Mario require the user to update their firmware if it is lower than 5.1.

I have 2 3DS XL's with firmware v4x.

Which games can I trust to play without updating the firmware - in that way, my kids can continue to play their old games on the flashcart.

thanks

Edit: similarly, which games will ask for an update but will still play if you decline?

It would be great to start a list, not only for me but for all future 3DS gamers.

2. TBreaker

TBreaker Well-Known Member

Maybe this site is helpful http://advanscene.com/
    It provides information about all the released 3DS ROMs (and others like NDS etc). Those information include the firmware version which is needed to run the games.
    Search for a game title (or its CRC32) in the search field on the left or choose the "3DS Release List" button on the left to see a list of all the 3DS ROMs sorted by their release number.
    Simply click on the name of the game after searching and you can see the required firmware version as the fifth entry under "Game Info".

3. angusangus

Great link Chacu, thanks.

It does seem to have conflicting stuff on it though, such as Mario Kart 7 is shown as v2x but a site I read the other day mentioned that the firmware had to be updated to 5.1 to play?

4. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

No, don't think so.
    The EUR, USA and JPN versions work on 2.2, the Chinese one on 4.0.

5. angusangus

What I mean is, I read on one of the flashcart sites that Mario needs you to update to v5x?

If you don't need to then I will buy a couple for my boys but don't want to risk having to update the consoles and end up going from v4x to v6x

6. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Mario Kart 7 won't force you to update.

7. angusangus

Oh bugger. I'm up in the air over this now. I read so many pages from so many sites, I can't remember which I read it on.

I have ordered a couple of R4i 3DS Gold Deluxe cards. I think I'll wait until they arrive and try a ROM on them and take it from there!

Edit: The r4i cards came and work a treat so will use ROMs on the console, thanks